Monday, June 11, 2007

Guyana not only famous for Jim Jones

Is it time for me to retire my “ Guyana not only famous for Jim Jones” t-shirt? Abdul Kadir and gang have caused a media frenzy not seen about Guyana since the days of the infamous Jim Jones.

Sure we grab the media with cases like Richard James and Robert Mallay who are accused of killing four persons, two in Guyana and two in NY, and collecting the insurance money.

Another headline grabber was Harry Rupnarine, the New York cop who shot his fiancée in her face at close range and killed her on Atlantic Avenue , NYC. They are both Guyanese immigrants.

Of course we cannot forget Roger Khan and the international fiasco that followed his arrest in Trinidad .

All of these cases are nothing in comparison with the JFK terror plot. I have seen coverage by the local papers, the USA papers, Canada and British (The ABC countries) and the Caribbean , but this coverage is far beyond the regular coverage we are used to on stories pertaining to Guyana . For example Google News gives a result of 278 newspapers that cover the FBI trip to Guyana , 90 stories on commentaries by the Guyanese community, 93 stories about family and friends calling the suspects innocent.

In a country like Guyana that is working very hard to build its tourism reputation, this story can hurt us greatly or help us mildly. Sacha Baron Cohen “Borat” did help Kazakhstan tourism, but his story was fictional and did not involve “terrorists”.

I hope more people would join me in wearing my new “Guyana not only famous for Abdul Kadir” t-shirt, so we can explain the natural wonders of Guyana, including the magnificent Kaieteur Falls, eco-tourism hot spots and the hospitality of the Guyanese people.
Asif Mohamed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you dispatch, will look progressive in behalf of more interdependent articles without delay as its sole of my favourite issue to read.